Saturday, November 15, 2008

Slippery When Wet

Today’s Grinn ride had something a little different and new to offer. For those of us who can barely remember high school, it was a chance to experience youth athletics again in a new light. Quinn-i-poo and I were far from the cycling type in high school and even further from something that resembled a cross country runner. Chiles High hosted a regional championship this weekend over 5k of the Miccosukee Greenway. It was a brief interlude beginning at the top of Edenfield and continuing to a turnaround point near “Church Hill”. Although it was something that slowed us down for a short period it was pretty neat to see the Greenway being used by so many people. It was a little rough swallowing the fumes from the rear pace car(forgive me John for being unaware of its official name), but witnessing the popularity of our trails(and John for that matter) was well worth it.

Kelly joined us again this weekend, which was really cool. She is training for San Felasco and I look forward hearing about her performance in the arduous 50 miler. Today Kelly exposed her self as an equine sympathizer at the Crump Rd. TH. This reminded me of another Grinn attendee, Christine. Although she accompanied us only once, Christine offered as much insight as any other rider, if not more. To witness her approach and interaction with a pair of riders on horse back helped to open my eyes to the appropriate relationship between those on bike and those on horses. I have always had tolerance for the equine variety b/c I feel like they are a huge part of why we have the greenway. I have never enjoyed riding through the bumps of their wake, but never would have classified myself as annoyed or frustrated. Riding with other cyclists who seem to have a rich history of riding horses has pushed me from someone who tolerated them, to someone with complete acceptance of our four hoofed friends. I now dismount where as before I would have merely slowed down in what I thought was an adequate signal of respect. Knowing riders like Kelly and Christine has resulted in a sense of compassion that I regret not having before. Plus, I can’t get the thought of Superman off my mind.

Chris made me proud for the first time since “aftercare” when he took the short hill after the interstate with almost too much ease. I was impressed with the small amount of encouragement it took for him to make a stab at it, and even more impressed that he was successful in what I am sure was less attempts than it took me. Totally a noteworthy occurrence. Next week I will announce the same thing about Quinn and Sandy(pressure!).

I anticipated a mandatory ride through water at the Arvah Bridge as a result of heavy rains in the days that preceded this weeks ride. The gang lucked out and I was the only one who elected the wet route that paralleled the rebuilt wooden structure. This made for some wet feet on the way home.

Tripp’s absence was less obvious this week because of the aforementioned events, but we will be glad to have him back next week. See you then dudes! Dress warm!

2 comments:

  1. I have absolutely no history with horses, aside from watching Roy Rodgers and Gene Autry on TV. Oh, and my 1950's trip up Thomasville Road to Whittle's Pony Farm. You guys are right on about dealing with equestrians. Even if they end up on the wrong trail, I'd rather take a Rodney King attitude toward them.
    What part of "recreation" do the angry cyclists not understand? And yeah, there's that whole squished like a grape by a spooked horsie.
    Nice post!
    TrailGnome
    Gnome's Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trivia for the day...Gene Autry has more stars on the Walk of Fame than anyone else. He has one for all five catagories(Theatre, phonography, radio, motion pictures and television), one of which was stolen and later found in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete